Friday, January 4, 2008

WOW I didn't think I would have a topic to post about this quick!

So here is the scoop. I signed up and designed the M an' M Rabbitry Blog last night. I wanted to break the ice and write up the first post, but I just couldn't think of anything that was happening in the rabbitry. Well that didn't last long! I actually have a few things so we will start with the most exciting and deadly!

1. Kindling Days: Three Jersey Wooly does are due January 4th, 2008. As usual, none of the does end up kindling exactly on the 4th! M an' M's Ashlind, a Blue Otter Jersey Wooly started kindling yesterday at about 5:00 pm. She was having a lot of trouble pushing the kit out...and my was it big! Sadly that kit was not alive by the time she birthed it. Around 5:40 pm she birthed another smaller kit with great ease, too bad that it was not alive either. I then left the barn for a while to go hang out with family for a few hours. At my return at about 9:00 pm I found that FT's Canadian Mist had kindled. She had one pointed kit and one sable marten kit. YEAH!

Now back to M an' M's Ashlind's drama. After checking on Candian Mist's kits, I checked on Ashlind. She was still continuing to have contractions. I went out to the barn every 30 minutes checking on her and still no kit. I stayed up until 4:00 am checking on her to see if she was going to push the kit out. No such luck, I woke up again at 6:30 am to check and again at 11:30 am. Still no signs of the kit, yet she continued to have contractions. I called up a few friends and got some ideas. One of the suggestions was to give her a gentle belly rub to try to push the kit back up into the abdominal cavity in order to allow her to rebirth it. So I gave her a belly rub for about 5 minutes and then checked her again in 20 minutes and sure enough, feet! The kit had finally gotten into a position were the contractions could push it out. Over the next 2 hours I worked with Ashlind, gently pulling on the kit until it finally came out. YEAH! The placenta was soon to follow and luckily the contractions stopped and Ashlind was finally in the clear. WOW that was a very intense 22 hours! Ashlind being one of my favorite Jersey Woolies and being named after myself, it was very stressful to have this happen to her.



Anyways, now that everyone is back to normal and is healthy and happy, the only Jersey Wooly left to kindle is Rolling Hill's MacKay. Hopefully she will have a healthy litter.

2. M an' M Rabbitry HAS TONS OF ANIMALS FOR SALE. I went through the barn today and counted for sale signs on animals. WOW what a number! A whopping 17 animals! Eeeeek! We are running out of cage space fast...these juniors need to go! Check out the FOR SALE page to see buns that need to go. We have both Jersey Woolies and Standard Chinchillas currently available.

3. Karli and I have decided to go down to Woody's Wabbits a rabbit equipment dealer. They are located in Astoria, OR, so we have a long drive ahead of us tomorrow. On the way Karli and I will be picking up some fuzzy lops for Karli from Leslie Hobbs and hopefully dropping off M an' M's Crazy Town, a chestnut junior buck Jersey Wooly and another broken opal Jersey Wooly buck to Becky McCall in Silverton, OR. Plus picking up a few condos for Karli at Woody's and some E-Z Crocks for me! Its gonna be a long day tomorrow. Its a 5 hour drive down to Astoria and another 5 hours back.!

Anyways, everyone is holding on here at M an' M Rabbitry. Hopefully there will be an upcomming post about Rolling Hill's MacKay's litter.

No comments: