Thursday, November 13, 2008

Convention +

WOW, it has been a long time since I blogged. This is because of all of the craziness that took place before, during and after convention.

So I guess I need to summarize everything!

ARBA National Convention, Louisville, KY, October 26-30th, 2008 M an' M Rabbitry Open Show Results:

6th place Self SR Doe out of 53, M an' M's Tootie Fruitie

1st place Tan Pattern Senior Doe, M an' M's Queen of Cartoons
BOG Tan Pattern out of 44, M an' M's Queen of Cartoons
8th place Colored Wool out of 22, M an' M's Queen of Cartoons

17th place Shaded SR Buck out of 28, M an' M's Bebop

13th place Standard Chinchilla SR Doe out of 25, M an' M's Zoli

Convention was a BLAST! It was absolutely crazy, but tons of fun! Shonna and I transported almost 70 animals to convention, and another 45 or some home. That was interesting to say the least. The animals did well, and lost very little condition. Even though it was a 3 day trip. Shonna drove days and I drove nights. On the way there we had planned to drive 12 hours a day, 6 hours for each of us, but the first day we only managed to do 10, as we had 3 drop off/pick up locations which took some time. We had planned to get at the convention center later Friday, but that was cut short, as we continued to get behind schedule. So on Friday we had 15+ hours to drive. Shonna and I ended up pulling and all nighter, and arrived in Louisville, KY at 8:30 am Eastern time Saturday morning. We checked into the hotel room just wanted to crash, but of course fate would not allow that to happen. As I walked along side my bed it was like wadeing though water. The carpet was soaked and the room stunk! We were so tired though, that we just went to bed and dealt with it in the morning. Luckily we were able to change rooms after we had gotten a few hours of sleep.

Once at the convention center at about 5pm Saturday, it was even crazier as everyone came and picked up their animals. Gee, it was insane! My phone was ringing off the hook for about 48 hours straight!
Sunday was another full day of animals being picked up and finishing getting animals in their coops.
Later that evening, Shonna, Alyssa and I went out to dinner with George and Jessica, some awesome chin friends of mine in Orlando, FL. It was so much fun, and they were just a pleasure to be around. They are practically family, such awesome people! It was quite sad that they had to leave early Tuesday morning and were not able to stay longer.
Finally, once most of the animals were picked up on Sunday, it was time for the show Monday. It was great getting to finally meet Brian, Daykota, George and Jessica, Mary and Molly, Sandi, Laura, Amanda and Deidra. That was the best part of convention. Finally being able to put a face to a name, and being able to hug so many friends that I have made over the years all over the nation. The judging went good. It was tons of fun being a runner for the wooly table and hanging out and talking to all the people. The chin table was a little more interesting, and I decided that I wanted to see how my woolies are doing, so I was not able to see how my chins did. Bummer!

It was a major surprise to have M an' M's Tootie Fruitie, Black Senior Doe to receive 6th place out of 53! Especially when she was just coming into senior coat, and had no density or length of coat. I was also thrilled to have M an' M's Queen of Cartoons not only place 1st in her class, but also win BEST OF GROUP Tan Pattern! I was ecstatic, especially this was only the second year I had ever entered any animals in a national convention. And to go from 6th place out of 12 Tan Pattern SR Does to BOG Tan Pattern, was a huge improvement.


M an' M's Queen of Cartoons
Best of Group Tan Pattern Open Jersey Wooly
ARBA National Convention 2008

Finally after the judging day, Monday, we were finally able to get some sleep.

Tuesday was a little more lax, as I cleaned convention coops, and Shonna and Alyssa cleaned carriers back at the hotel, after we went to the National Jersey Wooly Rabbit Club Specialty meeting. Best in Show was nice, the Kentucky Club could have done a little better with announcing all of the exhibitor names, thats for sure. I was excited to see that Randy Shumaker and Allen Mesick were chosen to be Group judges. Allen was a group judge for youth, and Randy was a group judge for open.

Anyways, so the next highlight of the convention trip was the Jersey Wooly Banquet. It was fun getting to hang out with the Bledsoe Family during the banquet. Here were my banquet results:

Open District 1 Overall Sweepstakes Champion
5th Place Open Herdsman
1st Place Tan Pattern SR Doe Open
Best of Group Tan Pattern Open

Anyways, Thursday was checkout. It was a bit chaotic to say the least, as Shonna and I had to find about 20 animals that we had sales slips for, of about 10+ different breeds. But we made it out and begun our long journey home.

Sadly, I was getting sick by Wednesday of convention, and by the day we left Kentucky, I was developing a head cold. For the next couple of days Shonna drove days, and almost the entire time that she drove I slept, and then I would wake up just in time to drive nights. Even with all of the sleeping, I kept getting sicker and sicker, and Monday after we got home, I was pretty sick.

We got home Sunday morning at about 1:30 am. Luckily Shonna's husband Duane was there to help us unload everything and sort through all the stuff.

It was a fab-u-loss trip, and was tons of fun. But the animals and I are glad to me home, and back in our routines.

Until, I have the time to post again,

Toodles,

-Ashley


No comments: